One of the best champagnes I`ve ever had!

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

One of the best champagnes I`ve ever had!

Post by Blake Brown » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Last night, I had one of the best champagnes I`ve ever had and certainly as good as any I`ve had from this house. Now for some who know me, you know that`s a pretty big statement and includes some heavy hitters from stellar vintages from both big houses and small growers and everything in between.

My sweetie and I dine out every few weeks at our favorite local restaurant, the Stonehouse, located on the luxurious San Ysidro Ranch property. On the occasions the weather permits which in Santa Barbara is most of the time, we have a favorite table at the corner end of the outside upper patio that offers some intimacy along with the best views.

We were served graciously and treated royally which adds to the completeness of each occasion and we love the food that has consistently been to our liking.

As usual, we Uber to and fro and take champagne and a red wine to pair with the vast menu options and sit back and enjoy a full evening sipping and chatting and relishing the beautiful and peaceful ambience while loving our time together.

On this night, we took:

2000 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT BLANC de BLANCS- simply magnificent; it had all of the bases covered; the yellow toward gold color suggested serious concentration and that`s what materialized; major perfume of complex aromas of honeysuckle and toasted brioche were joined by spice, ginger, lemon, lime and kiwi with a touch of saline; it had very bright acidity and most notable, amazing balance throughout the entire experience and it was AN EXPERIENCE; this ememplified power and finesse; it was full on and yet easy and graceful; the nose just kept giving and giving and all of the treasures were sensed early on and all the way to the back end with a long welcomed finish; It was definitely a sipper and with each sip, the pleasures continued to unfold and deliver; did I say, “magnificent”?; I`ve enjoyed many other CdC, Krug, Salon, Dom, Clos des Goisses, Cristal, SWC et al from top vintages as well as others, none showing any better than this bottle.

1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM COASTLANDS VINEYARD SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- from the last vintage Burt vinified before selling and a wine I`ve visited many times, this bottle showed great character although it was more mature and evolved than most to date; it had some obvious bricking; it`s still very viable and offering tertiary notes of burnt dried cherry/ berry; the initial fruit profile of nice spicy, cinnamon, clove and smoke infused strawberry, raspberry and cherry still was evident, but overshadowed and pushed to a backup role by mid palate; over time, this became even more enjoyable and more balanced; the somewhat viscous texture added to the sensory treat and the finish held on for an extension of such; we took some home and will revisit a small portion soon.

I recognize a wine`s glamour is also predicated upon other factors like the people we`re with, the conversation, the ambience, the food, service, stemware etc., but this CdC was at the top of the champagne game and I shall always remember its gifts. What will my other 00`s be like? Will they be as good as or better than 61`, 64`, 69`, 76`, 81`, 85`, 90`, 95`, 96`? This one was. I`m salivating in anticipation.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG (147.76 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG (104.51 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG (104.22 KiB) Viewed 10930 times

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: One of the best champagnes I`ve ever had!

Post by Jeff Leve » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 am

I agree with you on this 100% Blake. I've had the TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT BLANC de BLANCS a few times and it's always delivered. It's pricey, but for the quality and style, it's really good.

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Blake Brown » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 am

Jeff Leve wrote:I agree with you on this 100% Blake. I've had the TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT BLANC de BLANCS a few times and it's always delivered. It's pricey, but for the quality and style, it's really good.
Jeff, obviously, for me this delivered far more than I expected and I expected a winner going in. My best guess is I paid around $120-130. I`ve got a lot of Krug, Salon, Cristal and others that were far more expensive. I`ve always liked the house style that Taittinger uses and the Grand Cru fruit is accessed from the best of Chardonnay sources, les Chetillions Vineyard in le Mesnil which is more well known as being the source and noted on the label for Pierre Peters` top of the line bubbly.

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 am

Among my very best wines :
Comtes de Champagne rosé 1983 (magnum - 97/100)
Comtes de Champagne 1976 (98/100)

The 1996 is great.
The 1995 excellent.
The 1966 still very interesting (drank in january 2015)

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:59 am

Hi Laurent... Good to see you. I think you and Blake might know, I do not taste a lot of high end Champagne. But I had a bottle of 1996 Salon served double blind to me last week that was perhaps the best young Champagne I've ever tasted!

Have either of you tasted the 1996 Salon?

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:38 am

Jeff,

I had Salon 1996 in july 2011 (19/20) : a high-class young champagne !

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Blake Brown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 am

Jeff Leve wrote:Hi Laurent... Good to see you. I think you and Blake might know, I do not taste a lot of high end Champagne. But I had a bottle of 1996 Salon served double blind to me last week that was perhaps the best young Champagne I've ever tasted!

Have either of you tasted the 1996 Salon?
Jeff, I`ve had 2 bottles of 96` Salon in the last 6 months and both were superb albeit still in a developing state, but nonetheless quite a treat and as good as most 96` at this point including Krug which I had just recently.