Mount Eden Vineyards Cab retro 72`-12` Day 3 of 3 Part 1-2

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Mount Eden Vineyards Cab retro 72`-12` Day 3 of 3 Part 1-2

Post by Blake Brown » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:20 pm

MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS CABERNET SAUVIGNON
41 YEAR RETROSPECTIVE 1972-2012
DAY 3 OF 3

I actually was looking forward to tasting more wine from this producer on this, the 3rd consecutive day for this stellar event and taste we did as we had 19 Cabernets plus champagne.

As with the first 2 nights, the venue changed and so did some of the attendees. On this night we were 13.

The restaurant of choice was Sly`s located in neighboring city of Carpinteria, featuring the fine cuisine of chef James Sly who has distinguished himself as one of the finest chefs on the Central Coast for many years.

As with the first 2 nights, we had a private dining room and were treated to excellent service from their wait staff. The setup was similar in that there was a side table for our wines to be arranged in flights and decanted and another side table for additional stemware.

Appetizer
Cayucos abalone “Dore”

2002 LAUNOIS PERE et FILS BRUT BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU LE MESNIL- we`ve enjoyed some fine bubbly starters on each of the first 2 nights and this one falls in line to treat us to yet another great beginning; I have this one in my cellar and have had enough to know we had a good bottle here; it is a full bodied, serious sparkler and is better served with a good chill on it to get the refreshing joy it delivers; it`s creamy rich, big and bold, has a fruit profile of ginger infused apricot and peach and has bright acidity; we had 2 bottles and there was a deviation from one to the other with the 2nd one being much cleaner, fresher and brighter with more of a citrus fruit profile; the latter was unlike those I`ve had previously; as an aside, I learned the cork has a small plastic cap on the bottom end to avoid contact with the champagne and avert cork taint.

First Course
Roast loin of veal “au jus”
Creamy polenta rapini

2008 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- following an intense, suggestive nose came more seriousness with major fruit notes primarily consisting of tasty milk chocolate covered strawberry and red cherry which was an anomaly from all other wines we`ve had over the first 2 days; it had a medium to full body, nice balance, pleasant mouthfeel and good length; we`re off to a good start.

2007 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- showing quite well, this balanced beauty gave us a middle of the road profile with everything being just enough; the spicy black currant, blackberry fruit was really delightful.

2006 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- the most remarkable thing I got from this wine was its big tannic structure; I liked that this was even and steady throughout; the black fruit was on the wild side and overall, this showed with excellence and swagger.

2003 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET
SAUVIGNON- 4 winners in a row as this flight is the best of any so far; I liked the nose which was so encouraging for more exploration and I obliged; the taste profile meets all expectations with tasty spicy sandalwood/ talc laced black cherry which carries on through a long finish.

Second Course
Carpenter Ranch squab “en salmis”
Celery root puree, black truffle oil

1992 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- 96% Cabernet, 4% Merlot; this contains some of the 92` Old Vines Reserve in it; it was a bit oxidized plus it had some veggie/ mineral quality and not much fruitiness; I have to think this was an anomaly; it was mentioned that a new canopy management system was in place for this vintage and the wines were noticeably improved from this vintage on.

1992 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS OLD VINE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- the nose had some metallic, graphite, pencil lead notes and the fruit profile was of sweet cherry with a dose of earthiness coming at the end; this was strange all the way through and then the tannins took over and dominated.

1985 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- the best of this flight and it did not require too much to do so; there`s some mild veggie/ bell pepper evident and bracing tannins in front of some mild dried black currant notes and then it falls in behind and continues on; it had a light to medium body; this definitely was showing some age in every way except for the color which still was devoid of signs of bricking.

1984 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- the nose had a veggie, toasty funk with somewhat stewed fruit, but not to be confused with oxidative notes; this also had some earthy character and best of all, some mild black raspberry fruit showing up at mid palate, but not hanging for long.

1982 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- there`s some veggie/ bell pepper here even more that the 92`s and the 85`s; it also had some smoke and lots of wild very tannic notes to accompany the dried black fruit.

I`m voting to go back and retaste the first flight?
Attachments
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG (101.88 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG (142.11 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
Last edited by Blake Brown on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Re: Mount Eden Vineyards Cab retro 72`-12` Day 3 of 3 Part 2

Post by Blake Brown » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Third Course
Aged USDA prime porterhouse “rare”
“Peter Luger style”
Sly`s half & half

1990 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- 96% Cabernet, 4% Merlot; this shined ever so brightly in comparison to any in the last flight; nice blueberry spice comes out in the nose and a metallic hit comes in late before moving on with good black and blue fruit with a touch of talc and the tannins show up and finish things off.

1990 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS OLD VINE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- fabulous wine; with a deep dark youthful color, and a slight veggie nose, the goodness prevailed as tasty spicy full on black cherry comes in to take over and give this a thumbs up; the most pleasant aspects complete the deal.

1991 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- 96% Cabernet, 4% Merlot; dry cherry and black currant all mildly present in this lighter style, light to medium body wine; although it isn`t and missing the fresh young fruitiness, it could be termed a rose of cabernet sauvignon.

1991 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS OLD VINE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- more Merlot like even though it`s blended in in minimal amounts, this has some tasty mild spicy cranberry, blueberry notes in this medium bodied wine; the tannins are soft and easy on the palate.

1976 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- showing ever so slight aging color of deep amber, this is smoke laden dried plum and black currant; made by Merry Edwards.

The 90`s win this flight. Latter on, Jeffrey commented “1990 was the first year I felt I had arrived in making good Cabernet from this vineyard”.

Another very well informed attendee at the table stated “91` was a great vintage in CA although 90` was rated much higher”. My experience confirms that as well.

Final Course
Truffled Brillat-Savarin, pecorino stagionato, & Midnight
Moon goat`s milk Gouda
[from C`est Cheese]

1972 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- no question, the appearance suggests a wine with some age on it, but this was not over the hill and out, in fact, it was very delightful; the immediate hit of clove in the aromatics won me over and it got better with lots of black currant chiming in; the fruit was a bit dry and still tasty and it had depth and richness; the finish was not long, but enough to call the whole deal a winner.

1973 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE “FIRST PICK” CABERNET SAUVIGNON- made by Merry Edwards and bottled 6 months ahead of the 2nd pick; amazingly youthful vibrant color, nice very viable tertiary dark fruit which faded in favor of a bit of astringency at the end.

1973 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE “SECOND PICK” CABERNET SAUVIGNON- also made by Merry Edwards, more of everything here; more inviting nose, really good and more expression of black cherry/ berry fruit and amazing balance.

1974 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- this also impressed with lots of fruit in the nose and body with red raspberry being most obvious; it was soft, elegant and so tasty; how about a 41 year old Cab? Bravo!

1975 MOUNT EDEN VINEYARDS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON- the label stated this was bottle # 3096, but only 3,070 were made??? Nonetheless, it was a treat; it had good fruit with a bit of smoke, some toasted plum and blueberry and was simply delightful.

This entire flight demonstrated why some of us cellar wine for the long run and cherish the benefits. All 5 of these were extremely approachable.

John made the comment “The 73`s in CA were special”. Darrell stated so profoundly, “The last flight shows that a wine has to come from a place and the place makes the wine”.

There was unanimous agreement this was an extremely special event and a once in a lifetime experience that all would do again in a heartbeat. I learned so much from some of the attendees and formed some new friendships and connections that we all know is one of the treasures of this wonderful world of wine [and food].

Cheers,
Blake
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Michael Allen
Contributor 85 Pts

Re: Mount Eden Vineyards Cab retro 72`-12` Day 3 of 3 Part 1

Post by Michael Allen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:39 am

Thank you for the post Blake. I really like reading about old California wine. I know more about Mount Eden Chardonnay than Cabernet Sauvignon which made this even more fun to read.

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Re: Mount Eden Vineyards Cab retro 72`-12` Day 3 of 3 Part 1

Post by Blake Brown » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:35 am

Michael Allen wrote:Thank you for the post Blake. I really like reading about old California wine. I know more about Mount Eden Chardonnay than Cabernet Sauvignon which made this even more fun to read.
Michael, I was kind of in the same boat knowing the Chardonnay and Pinot and not the Cabs, but knowing who was going to be there and what this represented, I considered it a do not miss and am glad I did.