Bad bottle of wine

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Ckonak
New Member 50 Pts

Bad bottle of wine

Postby Ckonak » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 pm

My sister in law sent a case and a half of wine to us as a wedding gift. We opened a bottle and the cork crumbled, the opening looked like it was molded, and there were bits of who knows what in the bottom of the bottle. I'm sure my sister in law spent a lot of money. The only thing I'm asking for is a replacement bottle. I have pictures to back this email up. Thanks. Cindy

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Bad bottle of wine

Postby Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi Cindy

Thanks for asking the question. It is going to depend on the age of the wine. The small white bits at the bottom of the bottle are tartrates, which is something that happens naturally in Sauternes as they age. Dry corks are possibly a bigger problem, if the wine is young. That means almost for sure that the wine was note stored correctly. But that does not mean the wine is bad. You have to taste it to see.

What vintage is the wine?

PS. Congratulations on your wedding!

RoddyJones
New Member 50 Pts

Postby RoddyJones » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:Hi Cindy

Thanks for asking the question. It is going to depend on the age of the wine. The small white bits at the bottom of the bottle are tartrates, which is something that happens naturally in Sauternes as they age. Dry corks are possibly a bigger problem, if the wine is young. That means almost for sure that the wine was note stored correctly. But that does not mean the wine is bad. You have to taste it to see.

Never heard of tartrates before, will have to look it up but it safe to drink? And how do you prevent dry corks, just keep the wine in a cool place?
The Instant Knockout https://www.gabeba.com/instant-knockout-review-results fat burner is excellent.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:40 am

RoddyJones wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:Hi Cindy

Never heard of tartrates before, will have to look it up but it safe to drink? And how do you prevent dry corks, just keep the wine in a cool place?

Thank for the questions Roddy. Simply put, tartrate crystals are a safe, natural occurrence that takes place with some white wines stored in cold cellars. In cold, cellar conditions, when tartaric acid and potassium are combined, they create what is known as potassium bitartrate, which looks like a crystal or snowflake.

To keep your corks wet, store your bottles on their side. I hope this helps...

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”