Silk road

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Silk road

Postby Jeff Leve » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:25 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:Howard, wines need depth and concentration to be silky. Bordeaux is silk and velvet. Burgundy, at least to me is more elegant. Do you agree, or ?

I know that you do not like Burgundy. I really find that to be a flaw in your ability to taste wine. Burgundy and Bordeaux are the two greatest wine regions in the world and that has been true for hundreds of years. If you cannot see the greatness in both wine regions, the fault is in you and not in the wines, frankly.

That is one way to look at it.... :mrgreen: Honestly, I find 99.9% of Burgundy to be thin, tart and overly acidic. But I do like the .01%.... Does that count? :razz:

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:53 am

One man's mustard is another man's mustard gas. So let us not speak of the flaws of others, the yellow stains that come from our mouths and can end up on our shirt.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Jeff,

Just a question about troplong mondot. A couple of the tasters have mentioned a pruniness or raisiny quality on the palate. Did you pick up any flavored as such?

I really like the tm's I have had in the past, especially the '05 and the 2010 and hadn't detected any overripe flavors. They were powerful, structured wines but maybe not as fruit filled as the notes are suggesting for the '15.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:31 am

Dave, were those tasters British or European? My tasting notes show you exactly what I think you get from the wine. I liked it enough to buy it for me!

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Postby Howard Cooper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:Howard, wines need depth and concentration to be silky. Bordeaux is silk and velvet. Burgundy, at least to me is more elegant. Do you agree, or ?

I know that you do not like Burgundy. I really find that to be a flaw in your ability to taste wine. Burgundy and Bordeaux are the two greatest wine regions in the world and that has been true for hundreds of years. If you cannot see the greatness in both wine regions, the fault is in you and not in the wines, frankly.

That is one way to look at it.... :mrgreen: Honestly, I find 99.9% of Burgundy to be thin, tart and overly acidic. But I do like the .01%.... Does that count? :razz:

Sorry, no.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Postby Howard Cooper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 am

Dave Poppons wrote:One man's mustard is another man's mustard gas. So let us not speak of the flaws of others, the yellow stains that come from our mouths and can end up on our shirt.

I consider Jeff to be a friend. This is not a new discussion, but one we have been having for years. I have tasted wine with Jeff twice at dinners in DC and he is a wonderful and generous dinner companion. We have vastly different tastes in wine, but wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same thing?

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Postby Howard Cooper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am

Dave Poppons wrote:Jeff,

Just a question about troplong mondot. A couple of the tasters have mentioned a pruniness or raisiny quality on the palate. Did you pick up any flavored as such?

I really like the tm's I have had in the past, especially the '05 and the 2010 and hadn't detected any overripe flavors. They were powerful, structured wines but maybe not as fruit filled as the notes are suggesting for the '15.

I think this is one place to show the disagreements between Jeff and me. I have not tasted the 2015, but have not really liked TM since it went more modern after the 1988 vintage (the 1988 is drinking well, for what it is worth). I have not found it pruny or raisiny, but for me it is an over the top wine. If you have liked it in the past, you probably should listen to Jeff.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Jeff,

The pruny, raisiny notes were identified by British tasters. I am not that turned off by these tastes. but they are pretty overwhelming in Shiraz which is one raisin I don't drink it anymore.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:44 am

Dave Poppons wrote:Jeff,

The pruny, raisiny notes were identified by British tasters. I am not that turned off by these tastes. but they are pretty overwhelming in Shiraz which is one raisin I don't drink it anymore.

That's what I thought. I have a lot of good friends that from London that are very good tasters, until they come to St. Emilion. They do not understand those wines. Like Howard wrote, if you like Troplong Mondot in previous vintages, you will love the 2015. As I said, my best endorsement is, I bought the wine for my cellar!

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Jeff,

I purchased 7 of eight of the wines from the list for 2015 and the last two wines made available were ausone and cheval. I could have bought a half case of ausone and a half case of cheval but in the end I went with 14 bottles of cheval as I can follow the evolution of the wine in bottle and not just have the wine sit in the cellar thinking I will run out. Maybe I will regret that. Oh well. Can we ever collect enough?

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Not that I will be buying petrus or the other remaining wines of the 2015 Bordeaux en primeur campaign but it will be interesting to see what price these come out at with the brexit vote and its effect on the wine market.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:10 am

Looking at retailer stock it looks like the pricier 2015 Bordeaux wine is not moving. But it does look like wines in the $50 to $120 range is selling in the US.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:24 am

Jeff

Wondering if these wines, especially right bank will be open for a while and how they will taste at ugc. I am not talking about wines mentioned in this thread but the 2015 vintage in general.

Also do you know of any venue short of going to the chateaux themselves where the wines in this thread can be tasted?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 am

David... As a guess, the wines will show well at the UGC. I think the only venue to taste these wines is also at the UGC in 2018. You can also get a group of people together and everyone can bring a bottle or two....

You can add 2015 Figeac to your list. I retasted it yesterday. It was stunning! Tasting notes on the page http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... on/figeac/

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:28 am

That's a good idea for a get together tasting of the 2015 Bordeaux, maybe as soon as the wines arrive prior to their shutting down. I need to find others who are purchasing the wines.

Thanks for the Figeac recommendation. It's funny, the first time I had Figeac it was too young and had this creepy, sickeningly sweet new wine taste I associate with barrel tastings and very young, dense wines. I had a 1998 Figeac last month in the same flight as 2000 Rol Valentin and 2005 Bellevue mondot and it was very good. It's selling for $150. Rather expensive.

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”